This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

MPV crashes completely when audio device in use

Problems, bugs, suggestions... anything related to SMPlayer.

MPV crashes completely when audio device in use

Postby chagos » Mon May 28, 2018 4:55 am

When a music player using WASAPI exclusive is active, and I try to open a video file with SMPlayer 18.5 using mpv, mpv.exe will crash and generate this error in the log:

error [ao/wasapi] Error initializing device: AUDCLNT_E_DEVICE_IN_USE (0x8889000a)
[ao/wasapi] Bad device retry failed
AL lib: (EE) ALCwasapiPlayback_resetProxy: Failed to initialize audio client: 0x8889000a
AL lib: (WW) alcSetError: Error generated on device 0CA18890, code 0xa001

While I fully expected that no audio would be produced, as having an already running music player in WASAPI exclusive would by definition exclude that, I expected to still see SMPlayer show the video-only track, as is the case with the other video players I use in the same circumstance, instead of a crash with no display. I tried adding the switch "--audio-fallback-to-null=yes" to the advanced parameters, which the mpv manual defines as:

"If no audio device can be opened, behave as if --ao=null was given. This is useful in combination
with --audio-device: instead of causing an error if the selected device does not exist, the client
API user (or a Lua script) could let playback continue normally, and check the current-ao and
audio-device-list properties to make high-level decisions about how to continue."

However the crash continues. Is this anything fixable on the SMPlayer end, or just a peculiarity of mpv.exe? If the latter, is there another switch/option I could try adding to the advanced options that would allow video to play without audio when the audio device is already in use? Thanks for any insight!
chagos

Return to General