This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

Choppy FS video Linux, fine in XP, ATI X600 card - Solved

Problems, bugs, suggestions... anything related to SMPlayer.

Choppy FS video Linux, fine in XP, ATI X600 card - Solved

Postby kcaldwel » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:04 am

I imagine this the ATI video driver provided with the Linux Mint Cinnamon distribution I am trying to switch to, but I thought I'd ask if there is any solution. I use an older computer for a TV server, and it works fine running XP. FS video files (mkv, avi, etc) play very well with SMPlayer. But the same computer running Linux Mint Cinnamon has choppy full screen video.

The video is excellent when not in full screen mode.

I have tried turning off the frame drop, and I have looked at the AMD site for different drivers. Their only Linux driver will not work with my card it seems. The install goes fine, but then comes up and says the driver is not compatible.

I have also tried VLC, asnd it is the same. That leads me to beleive it is the Linux driver for the ATI X600 video card.

Is there anything else I can try, short of buying a new card?

Thanks!

I got an answer through the Linux Mint forum. It is the ATI drivers. I found removing the ATI card and using the Intel on-board video solved the problem. Full-screen video is great with SMPlayer again!
kcaldwel

Return to General